Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pastel Paintings of Fields






I have always drawn using my imagination, often inspired by a single image that then becomes my jumping off point. In the case of these two paintings it was an aerial view of a field. Ideas occur to me as I paint with pastels. I follow my instincts with the goal of a pleasing image, realistic or not. I suppose I have always been a bit of a fauvist, even as a child who loved to draw fanciful images before I knew of fauvism.

Several favorite examples of fauvist art are Vue de Collioure, 1905 and The Turning Road, L’ Estaque, 1906 by Andre Derain. Maurice de Vlamink's Picking up Deadwood, 1906 and In My Father's Orchard, 1905 are more examples of colorful fauvist art.

Some other wonderful examples of colorful art by Paul Gauguin are Matamoe 1892, Haere Pape, 1892, Street in Tahiti, 1891, Haystack in Arles, 1888 and Watermill in Pont-Aven, 1894.

No comments:

Post a Comment