Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pastel Painting of a Cat



I had a fearless 10 pound cat who ruled us all including my 90 pound Afghan hound.

I wanted my fearless pastel kitten to have the playful, energetic and expressive look we associate with kittens. Strokes of red, orange, pink and yellow suggest heightened energy and emotion.

The color green is the complement to the color red on the color wheel. By their juxtaposition each color is contrasted and becomes brighter, more vivid. My kitten stands out while framed by the similarly colored joints.

My inspiration for using strong complementary colors are Marc Chagall's Adam and Eve Expelled from Paradise, Song of Songs III and Jacobs's Ladder.

The fanciful green of the floor boards was chosen as a repeat of the green in the cat’s eyes to enhance their visual presence. My kitten is looking right at you.

1 comment:

  1. What's more endearing than a fearless pastel kitty? She looks ready to play and pounce! Wonderful use of vibrant color, and terrific explanation of your choice of colors and their interaction.
    Thanks for sharing your own talents, as well as the interesting Blog links on your page.

    ReplyDelete